Wednesday, March 4, 2015

IRMI Giraffe Nursery Lamp

For me, no baby's nursery is complete without a vintage IRMI lamp. They are the epitome of SWEETNESS! The wooden figures are always beautifully hand painted.  They come in all sorts of themes: Nursery Rhymes, Fairy Tales or just simple Whimsy, like the lamp below. (A dandy giraffe couple out for an afternoon stroll!) IRMI also made matching light switch covers, music boxes and other adorable wooden nursery accessories.

I bought the lamp above for $2 and it was broken & all scribbled-on and dirty. 

This picture shows the original colors that my lamp should be. Someone changed the orange and green details on mine to red and blue to better suit their decor. They did a pretty good job of painting, I must say! I didn't realize it wasn't original until I did a little research.

On my lamp, Mrs. Giraffe was missing her hat so I dug around and found a suitable button to use. (Sorry, I always forget to take "before" pics.)  

Then  I found some plastic flowers and some tiny netting to decorate the hat.

I also added some tiny ABC blocks painted just the right colors.

I added a felt necktie to papa and a felt bow tie to mama. Mama originally had a felt flower at her neck but I wanted them to match a little more. 

Here is a close up of mama's new hat.

I added a yellow gingham shade and now it is ready for the booth. 

I've had a lot of little IRMI items pass through my hands and it is always a pleasure to bring them back to life!

I can't wait for the snow to melt and the sun to shine so I can take a little stroll with my hubby. I hope its bright enough to break out my parasol. ;)
love 
rosie

2 comments:

Lynn said...

So darned cure. I'm sure it will fly out of your booth!

Unknown said...

Awesome! I love what you did with the hat!