Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Hanging Lampshade Make-over



During my travels last summer, I happened across this beautiful repurposed hanging lamp. I fell in love with it but not with the $$$ price tag! I thought maybe I could rig up something of my own.
(Sorry, once again, I forgot to take pictures of the process...)  




Well, it's been a year since I considered this project  so I thought it was time to give it a go.  I took an old ripped shade thats supposed to go on a table lamp and ripped off all the material. I recovered the 22" metal frame with a tight t-shirt, removed the sleeves and handsewed it onto the frame.



I sewed some ruffles and glued them on along with some rosettes and "dingle-berries" (that's what we call ball fringe in my family). I tea-dyed and cut-up an old lace curtain and sewed it to the inside so it casts a pretty shadow when lit.



I bought a hanging lamp kit at Lowe's and voila. It was done. The hardest part was deciding where to put the frills. At first I draped the ruffles but it made it look too much like a wedding cake! I'm happier with the "victorian corset" look. It has a pretty hour-glass shape that shows-off the lace.  I still want to add a white chain or scrunchy over the cord.

Hope you try this project! It was fun!
rosie

5 comments:

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Super CUTE!!! At least you are getting project finished...even if its a year later!
Hope all is well!
Warmly,
deb

vivian said...

adorable lampshade rosie! Ive recovered lampshades a few times, but none as pretty as yours!
and to make it into a hanging lamp was a great idea!
have a good night.
xoxo
vivian

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

I adore it...great re-purposing! Thanks for stopping by today...I have signed up to follow you here so i don't miss any of your find finds and re-dos!

Eva said...

"I was fun!" I'll bet you were. ;)

BucksCountyFolkArt said...

WOW!!! You MADE that?!! WOW! GOR-GE-OUS!