Thursday, January 7, 2010

How to make your own Thin Mint Cookies

How to make your own Thin Mint Cookies!

This was the view out my front porch this morning so it seemed like a good day to stay inside and make cookies....

Have you ever made your own Girl Scout-style Thin Mints?


It's very simple and they taste better than the "real thing", plus I didn't even have to turn on the oven.


All you need is meltable Dark MINT Chocolate wafers and ritz-style crackers. Melt the chocolate in a double-boiler or two pots, one sitting in the boiling water of the other (that's what I do because I don't own a double boiler...)

When the chocolate is melted, dip crackers in, one at a time and coat both side with chocolate. (Sorry about the practically empty pot in this picture. I was finished before I remembered to take the photos!) Tap off the excess chocolate and place cookie on waxed paper. I do about 10 then take my fork and press a criss-cross shape on them while they are still "wet".

If you can't find the mint flavored chocolate wafers, you can use regular dark chocolate wafers and just add a tad of peppermint extract to the melted chocolate.

This recipe is super easy but time consuming since you have to make them one at a time. I suggest using a fork to dip and flip the crackers as a spoon will gather too much chocolate when you go to place the cookie on the paper. We like to store the finished cookies in the freezer for that extra minty "cold-snap" when you bite into one! Have fun!
Rosie

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So what's the verdict--how do they compare with the real thing? I've seen this recipe before but using regular chocolate + peppermint extract, but I think the dark mint melts sound much better! I like how you made the crosshatches on the top. Yum!