Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Does this look like a "Treasure Chest??"

Don't be fooled by the back-alley placement of this little gem....

Time and time again this "magic box" has produced vintage treasures that would have gone unnoticed by the common man...

This dumpster sits right next to the parking lot at our local post office. I can see it as soon as I pull up. And if I get there on a lucky day, it will be waiting with "who-knows-what" inside. I can recall half a dozen times when, all I did was pull into the PO parking space, look up, and there it was...beckoning me with some useful item waiting to be remade! Once I even found a lovely wicker sofa and side table precariously shoved into it! (They now reside on my front porch.)

Last week someone thoughtfully laid these treasures there for me:

A perfect vintage George Washington bedspread...perfect fringe and all! 100% cotton, NOT polyester. Look at the size of this thing! (click on it for a better view) It's shown on my King sized bed. Perfect condition! I found it gingerly draped and spilling out over the edge of the dumpster as if the previous owner knew I'd be coming to the PO that day. It lured me over to peek inside...

And amid a box of old throw pillows...

This BEAUTIFUL vintage chenille number! It had a couple of stains on the edge but they came out with oxy treatment and it is gorgeous!


I have made no secret of my "diving" and finds like these make me down-right proud! I...AM...the ULTIMATE RECYCLER!

rosie

POST SCRIPT: Ahem...could I just clerify? "Diving" is just an expression. It usually entails retrieving something already revealed...not actually climbing in and scraping the bottom. It is serendipitous.

13 comments:

Fawn said...

that is AMAZING! I can understand it not being someone's style, and donating it, but to throw it in a DUMPSTER?? You have a very stylin' dumpster, that's all I can say :)

Kathy said...

I, I, I..... am speachless! I can't even find this stuff in our local thrift stores! What idiot would throw that away????? I have been searching for vintage bedspreads for a year now and can't find one that I like at the right price, and boy was that the right price!!!!!!!!!!! I think I need to move......

★Carol★ said...

That is definitely a treasure chest, not a dumpster! Your heart must race a little every time you have to go to the post office, because you never know what you're going to find, like those beautiful bedspreads!
Happy Monday!
Carol

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

ROSIE!!!!!
What a SUPER SCORE!!!! They are beautiful WOW...WOW...WOW...
I need to find me a good dumpster :)
Happy New Year!
Warmly,
Deb :)

Pete Lange said...

you my dear are a dumpster diva, a junk gypsy, a domestic goddess.

R. Charles said...

Such pretty finds! These look more like heirloom treasures, instead of castaways. All they needed was a little cleaning and alot of love. Glad you found them! So Beautiful! Keep finding things like this and you may have a little competition! lol
Have a Blessed day

ThisleRose said...

Not only are you being green, you are saving money while finding amazing stuff for you home! I'm so impressed with these finds!

The Queen of Clearance said...

That is amazing! I am beyond scared to look into dumpsters lol. I see people doing it all the time, but there's something about it that scares me! These are both lovely tho!

Unknown said...

Oh my, that chenille spread is GORGEOUS! What a lucky find!

Emily said...

How awesome are those spreads? I just love the chenille one!! You are so lucky to have such a treasure box near you!! :)

Holly Hall said...

Wow!! I am jealous of your dumpster!

I'm loving your blog. I'm glad you stopped by Sweetheartville!

The Queen of Fifty Cents said...

I'm going to start hanging out in more alleys. Wow.

roseylittlethings said...

fun finds the thrill of the hunt, however undesirable:)