Friday, December 4, 2009

NOT SO "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"

Well, I can't believe it but it's true. I've returned from my 30th High School Reunion! Who were all those "old folks?" Oh, ya. They were ME & MY FRIENDS!!!



This photo shows only a smattering of our class of over 900! I guess if you can get 1oo or so of them together, it's a pretty good turnout.
Few people know this, but my 1979 graduating class was the inspiration behind Cameron Crowe's novel & subsequent film, "Fast Times at Ridgemont High." I did not know him, but some of my good friends knew him as he infiltrated their Journalism class.


Every ten years we get together and have a blast! And every ten years the local media writes a little piece or films a little news clip about the "Ridgemont High" class. It's kinda fun to have our "15 minutes of fame". But it's even more fun to reminisce with the girlfriends!
Well, I guess I got 15 and a half minutes of fame this time. After the Saturday night reunion, I got a few early AM wake-up calls on Sunday. "Have you seen this morning's paper?" I got my picture in the paper but they didn't use anything I had to say in the interview...I guess they didn't like the idea that it was because of my own high school experience that I HOMESCHOOL! LOL!

That's me on the left, sorting name tags....
You can read the entire article here if you are interested in more info...
Anyways, while I was in San Diego, I got to visit The Best Thrift Store in the Universe!

Amvets Thrift Store is a GIGANTIC store in Escondido and if you EVER get a chance, you MUST go! Yes, this is a command. If you DO have the chance and DO NOT go, you will regret it the rest of your live-long days! It's THAT GOOD! I visit San Diego 3-4 times a year and hit Amvets every time! (Plus, there is ANOTHER one right by the airport! Double-duty!)
Here is the outside of the building. See...I told you it was BIG!

Rows of shoes.
Miles of aisles of clothing.

This is the checkout where, on a Saturday morning there will be up to 10 checkers taking your money!
Every day the board announces which colored tags are 50%-75% off. If you go on a crazy Saturday, everything but ______ colored tags are 50% off, but you will be hard pressed to find anything but ______ colored tags! It's a trick they do that I have not been able to figure out. I've been there on a Friday and returned on Saturday only to find that all the tags have magically changed color!!! The tagging elves have swept through the place during the night and changed everything! It's incomprehensible due to the sheer volumn of stuff in there!
I didn't take a picture of all the knick-knacks lining every wall but they have loads of modern, vintage and antique JUNQUE. I didn't even take a pic of the items I bought. But I got 2 American Girl Bitty baby twins for 6$ plus some other items that will be resold on Ebay. I also bought some silver tea pots that will be turned into night lights. I will be sure to take
before/after pics of that.
Bye for now!
rosie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dang girl....you do not look your age:) Glad you had fun. Have a great weekend.

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

Emily said...

That thrift store looks like one I might just have to plan a trip to visit!! And how cool is that...that your high school class was used for Fast Times!!

:) Emily